3 Must-Have Features on Your New Pumper
The station house requires new pumpers. You know what is required, but specifying what you need on a new truck isn’t as simple as copying the tender document from your last truck from 10 years ago. There is so much new technology to consider, and products are updated annually. Some new features may benefit your department while others may not
We’re here to help you decide. Below are three features that are sure to be beneficial for your department.
Trident Automatic Air Primer
Major upgrades in fire pump priming technology are helping to drive the market forward. The new primers utilize air supplied from the chassis air brake system to operate the pump primer, which is proven to be far more efficient and reliable than conventional electric motor-driven primers. The use of a primer virtually eliminates the impact load on the vehicle’s electrical system, thereby improving its reliability. It also improves performance over time for establishing water supply, resulting in improved fireground operations and safety.
- Noise Level: Super Quiet
- Lightweight and Small Mounting Space
- Power: Air Operated (No Electrical Power Required)
- Corrosion-Resistant Brass Construction
- No Moving Parts
- NFPA Compliant
- Oil-Less Design: Environmentally Safe
HiViz FireTech Brow Light
The FireTech Brow light fits on the front of your apparatus to illuminate the roadway, which allows for greater safety and ease of working at night. Available with optional Integrated DOT Marker lights and split circuits, this product is the first fixture specifically designed from the ground up for use on the front of a truck’s cab. One of the secrets to the Brow lights success is the ability to attach the light at multiple points along the extrusion. This adjustable, patented rail-mounting system allows the light to be attached more securely. This means that, over time, it will neither flex nor succumb to moisture encroachment. The FireTech Brow Light’s exceptional reliability and proven track record is why it is the ultimate lighting solution for forward-facing scene lighting.
- 5w LEDs with Precision Acrylic Optics
- All-Aluminum Extrusion
- Multiple Mounting Options
- Split Circuit Optic Control
Adding this piece of equipment to your apparatus offers firefighters safety and liability protection; however, there are many different makes and models to consider. You want to ensure you’re getting everything that’s required.
- Do you want a rear camera only, or do you also want a camera on the right, left, or front?
- Do you want speakers so you are able to hear your guide backing you up?
- Are you considering a DVR capability option for the front camera?
Any product that you install on a vehicle should be part of the total package and includes these three items:
- an excellent driver training process that places an emphasis on knowing the physical dimensions of the vehicle along with its mechanical capabilities
- a good driving policy that includes the required procedure for backing an apparatus
- the required use of at least one ground guide during any backward movement of the apparatus
When looking to include a camera system for a new unit, or for aftermarket installation, here are four evaluation factors to consider:
- The quality of monitor images, particularly when used in total darkness. Screens generally range from 7 to 9 inches and are available in black and white or color displays.
- The International Protection (IP) rating for the camera housing is represented by two numbers. The first digit is the rating against solid objects; the second represents protection against water.
- The impact resistance for the camera housing (measured in G-forces).
- The night-vision capabilities. Most systems use LED technology to illuminate the camera’s field of vision and express its capabilities in feet.
At Metalfab, we are always staying on top of the latest and most valuable trends, educating ourselves on how we can incorporate the best technology into our apparatus, all in an effort to increase the efficiency and performance of our rigs. We want to ensure that you have every option available to always be ahead of the game.